Guided Walks, Westport, County Mayo
Guided walks of the historic planned town of Westport are conducted weekly, during July and August, Wednesdays at 11.00am starting at The Clock (top of Bridge Street).
Walks can also be arranged by appointment (Contact 098 26852).
Participants of the walk are taken on a journey back in time, to when the O'Malley Clan (Grace O'Malley) ruled this area. They walk through the early part of the town, hear the story of Westport and the 1798 Rebellion and the hanging of the rebel Johnny Gibbons.
Holy Trinity Church (built 1860's) is visited and the tree lined Georgian malls along the Carrowbeg river
The Walk finishes where it starts, at The Clock. Duration approx 90 minutes.
Cost: Adults 6 euro. Children (accompanied) free.
Scroll down for Walk Route and details
1. The Clock. Built on the site of a well.
2 John’s Row - Examples of houses from early town,
dating to 1760’s
3 The Octagon - The monument erected in 1845,
originally with George Clendinning on top.
4. James Street Tourist Office - Town House of Browne Family.
5. Holy Trinity Church - Church of Ireland built 1868 - 1872
in neo-gothic style.
6. North Mall - Course of river diverted. Georgian buildings.
7. Fair Green: View of tree-lined Mall.